Oxycodone is a semi-synthetic opioid derived from thebaine found in P. bracteatum, a common species of Oriental poppy used to legally produce codeine and its derivatives. It is a controlled substance available as a prescription for moderate to severe pain relief. Variations of the drug include immediate- and extended-release tablets, capsules, and solutions for oral administration. In severe instances, oxycodone may be intramuscularly or intravenously administered. Metabolites of oxycodone can be detected in biological samples using oxycodone antibodies.
Chemical Effects of Oxycodone
The anesthetic effects of oxycodone result from the analgesic activity of opium-derivatives. As an opioid-agonist, oxycodone binds to the mu-receptors in the central nervous system and inhibits the production of cyclic adenosine monophosphate (c-AMP). This further inhibits the production of several neurotransmitters including gamma-Aminobutyric acid (GABA) and dopamine.
Alongside significant pain relief, oxycodone can cause euphoria, reduced anxiety, and hypoventilation. Although developed as a therapeutic drug with reduced narcotic effects compared to commonly abused opioids such as morphine and heroin, oxycodone can cause severe dependence that can lead to harmful withdrawal symptoms and addiction. Trace to ultra-trace levels of commercial oxycodone such as Percocet can be quantified using high-purity oxycodone antibodies.
Oxycodone Reagents from Pyxis
Metabolites of oxycodone can be detected in biological samples by various immunoassay methods. Pyxis provides Oxycodone-BSA and Oxycodone antibodies useful for detecting Oxycodone in biological fluids.
Pyxis offers two protein-Oxycodone conjugates, 01-OXYB(L) refers to BSA-loaded with a lower number of Oxycodone molecules as compared to 01-OXYB(H). Both are synthesized using bovine serum albumin proteins (BSA) with sodium azide preservative at 0.01%.
Oxycodone antibodies can be used to detect metabolites of oxycodone in biological samples by lateral flow immunoassay and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISAs). This methodology is increasingly important for measuring dosage efficacy in cases of oxycodone dependency and for preventative treatments of opioid abusers.
Analytical Reagents from Pyxis
Pyxis is a leading supplier of analytical reagents for research applications. Our oxycodone antibodies are suitable for ELISA and EIA assessment of biological samples and are made to order with outstanding degrees of repeatability. We have developed a substantial range of made-to-order monoclonal antibodies, including:
- Alcohol such as, ethyl glucuronide-BSA (EtG-BSA);
- Amphetamines such as, Amphetamine-BSA, Methamphetamine-BSA, methcathinone-BSA, MDMA-BSA, MDPV-BSA, Mephedrone-BSA and Methylphenidate-BSA (Ritalin-BSA);
- Benzodiazepines, such as Oxazepam-BSA and Clonazepam-BSA;
- Cannabinoids such us, delta-8-THC-BSA, delta-9-THC-BSA; and synthetic cannabinoids such as, JWH-018-BSA, ABpinaca-BSA, UR144-BSA;
- Cocaine, such as BZEG-BSA;
- Hallucinogens/Anesthetics such as, Ketamine-BSA and PCP-BSA;
- Nicotinic such as, Cotinine-BSA.
- Opioids such as, Buprenorphine-BSA, Fentanyl-BSA, Methadone-BSA, Morphine-BSA, Oxycodone-BSA, Propoxyphene-BSA and others such as Chloramphenicol-BSA, Gabapentin-BSA and N-acetyl glucosamine-BSA (NAG-BSA).\